How to start divorce proceedings in Calgary

As a lawyer practising in the areas of divorce and family law in Calgary, one of the questions I am frequently asked by clients is: How do I start divorce proceedings in Calgary? Fortunately, the answer to that question is relatively straightforward: Divorce proceedings are started by one of the parties filing a Statement of Claim for Divorce at the Courthouse in Calgary. The person that files such a document is referred to as the Plaintiff, and the other party is referred to as the Defendant. However, before that can be done, the Plaintiff needs to decide: Am I only going to ask the Court to resolve issues of divorce (custody and access to the children, child support and spousal support)