top of page

Parenting and Access

Parenting Orders


These issues are dealt with under the provisions of the Divorce Act or the Family Law Act.


Married parents are able to bring applications under the Divorce Act for Decision Making Responsibility and Parenting Orders, or the Family Law Act for Guardianship and Parenting Orders.  Unmarried parents are able to bring applications under the Family Law Act.


Contact may be applied for by non-parents (grandparents, etc.) under both the Divorce Act and the Family Law Act.


Under both Acts, the Court will make its decision on the basis of what is in the best interests of the children.


In most situations, the Court would expect that both parents will remain involved with their children.  However, in certain circumstances of high conflict, sole decision making responsibility/guardianship or the granting of full parenting responsibilities to one parent may be ordered.

bottom of page